Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Book Review Jesus in Present Tense

In Jesus in the Present Tense, Dr. Warren W. Wiersbe explores the “I AM” statements of God—from His burning bush conversation with Moses, to His powerful reassurances to the Israelites, to Jesus’s startling claim to be the Light of the World.

Many Christians find themselves mired in past regrets or future fears, but the name of God itself reminds readers that God wants them to live in the present. The more readers understand and apply God’s I AM statements from the Old and New Testaments, the more they will realize God’s peace and joy. Then they will be free to live, serve, and know God more richly in the present tense—which is just where He wants them to be.

Karen Davis with the B&B Media Group, Inc. sent me a copy of Jesus In The Present Tense: The I AM Statements of Christ for the purpose of my review. The book's author is none other than Dr. Warren Wiersbe, an internationally known Bible teacher, author of the popular "BE" series of Bible commentaries and the former pastor of The Moody Church in Chicago.

The "I AM" statements of Jesus found in John's gospel are some of the most poignant examples of Christ's proclamation of His divinity--and understanding them is crucial to our growth in our love for Christ. After initially dealing with the "I AM" statements that are found throughout the Old Testament, beginning with Moses' conversation with the Lord in the book of Exodus, Wiersbe addresses with the seven metaphorical "I AM" statements:

1. I am the bread of life (John 6:35; John 6:48; John 6:51)

2. I am the light of the world (John 8:12; John 9:5)

3. I am the door of the sheep (John 10:7; John 10:9)

4. I am the good shepherd (John 10:11; John 10:14)

5. I am the resurrection and the life (John 11:25)

6. I am the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6)

7. I am the true vine (John 15:1)

He also takes a couple of surprising turns in dealing with what are known as the absolute I AM statement of Christ (found in John 6:20; John 8:24; John 8:28; John 8:58; and John 18:5) and also what he calls the neglected I AM--Psalm 22:6:

"But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people."

Certainly a good read and great way to do a study on I AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment